Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Tuesday 22 August 2017

today...

I'm off on my university study day. It is happening, but slower than normal.

I'm also home with a teenager who loathes his school, says the learning environment is archaic, he's learnt little all year as did it all in year 7/8 he says; he is totally bored; teachers too old and they don't know how to engage us and they put us in rows and won't let us discuss stuff. He's in their top stream...
I seriously have no idea what to do about this. It is interesting watching kids all day long, as I've done for 8 years, seeing the strugglers; schools with not enough money to give students the help they need; how fast the education system is changing (and i'm not sure we are headed in the right direction for all our learners) etc, etc.
He does want to go back to his old school but it is money. A lot. And with me quitting my job and going back to uni full time in 5 months... yeah. It's 4.5 years to go , at a school that he is not a fan of... we are zoned for no other state high schools either and I'm not sure putting him in a new-to-him school would make any different. His current school is ranked 6th in New Zealand for scholarship passes and also, overall, the students achieve really high. He is achieving at an excellence or merit level also, but with little work or engagement from himself. He scored top in his class in his science exam with zero study, which he finds hilarious...

The lounge looked like this before lunch - the ironing pile is to the right and I've just ironed 17 things - ha! It might take me 2 weeks to do the rest....


I've cleared out more stuff today and the hallway is looking so less cluttered. Nobody seems to want the bedside units on the front verge (do you do that? Throw stuff out for people to take as they drive past). We've two too many dressing tables too - I still like them, but thinking if i got rid of them, we'd be down sizing more stuff we don't need and swapping my one to a smaller size would mean down- sizing my wardrobe even more....

And a bedroom has gone from looking like this for 8 months (notice the curtains and the outdoor seat squab which has been a curtain !!!) ....



 to this today - a huge improvement! All these house things take time and money!





3 comments:

  1. It's no fun at all if a kid doesn't enjoy school. It sounds as though he isn't being pushed at all, perhaps you should have a word with his head of year and let them know that he isn't being stimulated. We live in a cul-de-sac so we don't get any passing traffic so we have to advertise anything we don't want anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can worth things out for your son, it must be very difficult indeed. I find that a "free to a good home" sign on things I want to get rid of helps them disappear fast! I have moved on lots of things that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor son. There is nothing worse for him than not being engaged enough at school. Definitely go and talk to the head as he is obviously a great student and an intelligent one. Your change to the bedroom curtains etc look fabulous and yep it certainly take time. If only money grew on trees, lol.

    ReplyDelete